About Minerva Project
Minerva is a leading educational innovator and global provider of top-tier higher educational offerings, which unify rigorous active learning methodology with advanced information technology. Its stated mission, to nurture critical wisdom for the sake of the world, guides a student-centric philosophy and an intentional approach to design, development, and implementation of all Minerva offerings. Minerva students are taught to devise innovative solutions to complex problems, use critical and analytical thinking to make informed decisions, work collaboratively, communicate effectively, and to be engaged, responsible, and ethical global citizens. The Minerva Schools at KGI were established in 2013 by KGI – Keck Graduate Institute – a WASC (WASC Senior College and University Commission) accredited institution – in alliance with Minerva Project. www.minervaproject.com.
The Managing Director of Business Development will extend Minerva’s mission across the higher education sector, the executive education market and, collegiate pathway programs. In this position you will be responsible for securing long-term relationships with partners that are looking to use Minerva’s curriculum, pedagogy and technology to dramatically improve their student learning outcomes, furthering Minerva’s mission of nurturing critical wisdom for the sake of the world through better education.
When working directly with partners, you will help reform higher education through the lens of what Minerva can help partners accomplish. You will find partners to license an intentionally designed curriculum, pedagogy, and platform all based on the science of learning that can transform institutions. You will work closely with these institutions to design partnerships that both advance their educational missions and solve other key problems from enrollment to revenue to retention.
In addition to direct engagements with partnerships, you will also be a senior representative of Minerva in the field. Through broad speaking engagements, conferences and other venues, you will proactively spread the learnings we have gained at Minerva Schools and how we can help transform education at all levels.
You’ll bring back knowledge from the field to the Senior Team and the cross-functional team focused on Minerva Project. You will inform the Minerva development teams of what the market wants. You’ll actively work to connect lessons from the field with Minerva’s strategic direction and our tactical decisions on products and services that we are bringing to market.
- Build active pipeline of conversations: Actively maintain a pipeline of several dozen conversations across a range of partners and industries. Create new opportunities via targeted research. Move each conversation forward every week.
- Close long-term deals: Bring partnerships to fruition by proactively thinking through all issues on partners’ side and how to solve them. Work with partners to quickly get through any roadblocks. Get MOUs and definitive agreements signed!
- Revenue responsibility: Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within a given schedule.
- High-level account management: After deals are signed, remain in place as high level account / relationship manager. In this capacity, expand accounts and foster renewals.
- Facilitate team resources to accomplish the above: Work with Chief Product Officer and others on the team to marshal Minerva resources across Senior Team and Minerva overall to ensure success at above.
- Conference speaking and attendance: represent Minerva at conferences and speaking opportunities, as appropriate. Coordinate all such activities with Marketing team. Actively use conferences to build pipeline.
- Customer Discovery:
- Bring back learnings from the field: Work with Chief Product Officer and cross-functional teams to ensure that learnings gleaned from discussions in the field rapidly improve our understanding on the way to product-market fit.
- Contribute to our standardized processes: As we grow, both follow and help improve standardized sales processes from customer relationship management to document templates (e.g. MOUs, contracts, etc).
- Actively improve our material used in selling: Similar to above, give feedback on and help tune marketing material, especially for experimental markets.
Skills & Personal Characteristics
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Incredible ability at sales from listening to negotiating to closing. Consistently beat sales targets in previous roles.
- Strong relationship manager.
- Ability to use technology / productivity tools to get your job done quickly.
- Independent problem-solver who values and appreciates collaboration but does not require it to take action.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility.
- High ethical and professional standards; strong sense of discretion, confidentiality and tact.
- Comfort interacting with a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external to Minerva.
- Comfortable using and learning new technology; tech-savvy and eager to adopt new tools and productivity processes.
- Experience working with remote staff.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Knowledge/experience working in international education systems.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships
- Willingness to travel as necessary
Location & Travel
- Anywhere in the USA
- Significant travel expected within USA and EMEA
- Quarterly visits to San Francisco Minerva headquarters